The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends these simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses. These include:
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
• Stay home when you are sick (students and employees who are running a fever, frequently sneezing and/or coughing must remain home and stay home until they are fever free without medication for 24 hours and the sneezing and coughing is gone or very minimal).
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.