Parents are frequently curious to know whether their child is gifted. There are certain traits that are common in gifted children, although every child is unique and not every gifted child will show all of these characteristics.
- Extensive vocabulary
- Excellent memory
- Early and avid reader
- Learns rapidly (and can get bored if the pace is too slow)
- Has intense interests
- Prefers to play with older friends
- Curious and asks a lot of questions
- Long attention span (if the subject matter is interesting)
- Highly developed sense of humor
- Heightened sensitivity and compassion for others
For more information on the characteristics of giftedness, you may be interested in this published article
by our Head of School, Jeff Stroebel.